Sunday, July 6, 2008

Born on the 4th of July

I realised I haven't blogged for a few days, it's just tough to find the time at the moment...but here goes for now!

There's only about 18 hours left of this service camp to go, so thought I had better put some thoughts down so far.

I have loved taking part in this week. It's been possibly the most tiring for me as we are back to a cabin of boys who don't want to listen and/or take part...and faced with 13 ten-twelve year old boys all with egos and attitudes gets draining! However there have been undoubtedly some real highlights for me.

The first, finding out that the 3rd of July is known as Commonwealth day, which took me by surprise, but meant that I was able to represent team GB for part of the day. As part of our evening program, our cabin boys put on a short skit which they devised themselves, and did a fantastic job of it. If that wasn't enough...we had a visit from the Queen of England! Or an englishman dressed in drag as Queen Elizabeth II.

Another special part of the day for me was being asked by one of the 11 year olds in my cabin whether we had electricity in the UK, or did we still use candles?!?! I very calmly gave him the correct answer and held back from discussing how Michael Faraday, Alexander Bell, Lord Kelvin all hailed from Great Britain!

The 3rd of July is of course followed by the 4th of July which meant one thing...Independance day!!!

I was worried that I might feel uncomfortable or uneasy during this day as a British Citizen...but couldn't have felt more at home, especially when I heard the tunes to Land of Hope and Glory and God Save the Queen being used throughout the day! As one American put it, we couldn't be bothered to come up with our own patriotic tunes, so we take them from other people!

The whole day was fantastic, from the big BBQ, to the carnival (where I manned the kissing booth!!!) to the campfire and fireworks afterwords. I don't mind at all owning up to the fact that I had a lump in my throat whilst standing listening to God Bless America (Sandi patty - awesome) watching the different fireworks and sparklers.

All in all, it makes me wonder why we in GB don't celebrate our heritage and uniqueness more...could it be - as was said in a prayer by one of the other English guys on the team - because 'We in the Commonwealth have been used as a tool for evil and wrongdoing'?!?!

Who knows?

4 comments:

Anita said...

I warned you about the daft GB questions!!!!
Fair play to them, the Yanks really really know how to celebrate - we loved the 4th of July's we were out there for. Just don't ever feel the need to change sides - you are still a Brit!!!!

Parky said...

But what about the volcano - have you seen it??????

matthewjingram said...

Afraid I haven't seen the volcano yet as it's on the other Island. Hopefully will get to before the summer is out though!

I still fly the Brit flag occasionally just to let them know where my heart really lies!!

Anonymous said...

Do people really say 'skit' these days Matt? :)

Glad to hear you're having a great time! and check you out in the kissing booth, you tart xxx