Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Milkshakes and being British in the USA

30.06.08

Coming to Hawaii I really only had one cultural objective, to learn how to surf.

Today, I took the first step towards that dream. We took a surfboard out onto the beach with us, and I ended up having my first surf lesson from a 7 year old boy! I managed to paddle out to deep waters lying down on the board, get into a kneeling position, then crouch on the board, and then up to standing on the board…for about 5 seconds before falling off!

At least I can now say I have surfed in Hawaii…kind of! I want to try again tomorrow, but may have to wear a guard to make sure I don’t get a rash from the rough board all down my front!

Tonight we went into Waikiki to eat, which was quite an amazing experience. Walking down the street meant that every 15 metres or so there was someone on the sidewalk either singing, painting, doing magic, playing the drums, rapping, being a human statue, or indeed just sitting wearing a load of spikes all over their bodies! It was quite surreal to have these street performers on one side whilst passing stores like Gucci, Chanel, Dior, Rolex and Armani on the other.

We ate at a ‘typical’ American diner devoted mainly to Elvis Presley. The food was alright, but we were mainly paying the money for the atmosphere…and the waitresses jumping up onto the stage and dancing a routine to ‘Greased Lightning’ when it came on, with one of our group jumping up to join them!

Some things about the USA that I love:

People saying ‘Have a nice day’ and actually meaning it.
People smiling at you in the street without the intentions of separating you and your money.
Free refills.
Patriotism and a genuine love of their country.
Milkshakes.
No beating about the bush or hiding behind words.
Amounts of food.
Weather.
The assumption that a British accent makes you a great person.
Genuine appreciation.
The beach J

That’s all folks!

3 comments:

Johnny said...

What's a "British" accent?

Em said...

you..........surfing..........PLEASE get someone to video it, it will amuse me for many years to come! x

Anita said...

Never mind milkshakes, get used to the candy - my fave is cherry twizzlers!!!!