Thursday, July 17, 2008

Don't want the music

Out with the old and in with the new. We finished SAY camp earlier this week, and by common consent it was probably our best week!

The kids were great, we had 10 in our cabin, and managed to have alot of fun with them. They were only the young ones, but they were so well behaved, and had a good sense of humour, so we had a great week together. The theme of the week was about space, and so we took them to a planetarium one day of the week, where we had an amazing star-projection presentation.

I think we formed a closer emotional bond with these kids than usual, so leaving day was slightly more difficult than it has been, but was still a happy affair!

We spent our break days mainly with eachother which was nice, we went to one of the staff's house for a bbq which was nice, and stopped on the way to go to a grocery store. I thought it was just going to be a nice normal shopping trip, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary except maybe it was a bit cleaner and posher inside than most of the ones we had been to before.

It was only when I was walking down past the fresh produce aisle that I heard something unusual, thunder! It was really loud, and seemed to be coming from the shelves. I pretty much ducked to the floor and upturned the trolley over me to cover me from falling pineapples. When this didn't happen, I got some funny looks from the people I was with who informed me it was to 'warn me it's about to rain'. 'Haha' I said, 'you're not going to make me look silly twice, don't lie'

Well, turns out that it did begin to rain...inside the grocery store! They spray the fresh produce every 5 minutes or so to keep it fresh, which my American friends were amazed at the fact that we don't have that back home!

So anyway, I wrote far more about that than I intended, just wanted to point out another Americanism that I have discovered!

I've been taking the time out here to listen to alot of music, and one piece in particular has stuck by me and struck me over the last week or so. It's called 'Don't want the music' by Phil Laeger, and I'd really recommend checking it out, from the album 'All I held onto'.

I jsut want to leave you these lyrics, which have moved me and challenged me considerably.

I don't want the music without You...I don't care the melody - that is one song I won't sing. I don't wanna do this without You...

2 comments:

Em said...

Thunder - oooooooooo scary.

Be brave Matt - we'll be with you so oon to look after you.

elliexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

Skarm said...

Don't know if you will actually will get this message, but here goes nothing.
Would you have the lyrics for this song around?
I've been trying to find them on the internet, but so far haven't had any success.
Well, be blessed.