Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ijela kajin majol.

I have been investing my time wisely whilst here at camp and started learning a local language...marshallese.

The Marshall Islands is a small Micronesian nation that is a part of the Hawaii and South Pacific Territory, and we have a small number of people from there at the camp, so I have decided to learn their language!

I can so far only have a very basic conversation in the tongue, but thought I would share with you what I have learnt.

Me: yokwe
You: yokwe!
Me: ej et am mour?
You: ebwe kommal.
Me: jab keroro!
You: bwe?
Me: ke nga ichba! (Not too sure about the spelling for this one!)

The translation for that conversation follows:

Me: Hello
You: Hello!
Me: How are you?
You: Okay thanks.
Me: Stop talking!
You: Why?
Me: Because I said so!

And that's it! I realise it's not a typical conversation, but it's the best I can do, and at least it makes me feel good!

:) Big Birthday greetings to both Ellie (8) and Dad (4*) in the last 3 days!

Tatty bye byes!

1 comment:

Aileen said...

Oh dear Matt, I think you have completely flipped!!! Clearly you are still having lots of fun
x