Monday, June 30, 2008

Small print

29.06.08

I should start with a disclaimer with regards to my last post.

It’s been pointed out that it comes across as quite critical and an attack on the country that is putting me up for 3 months! So I feel I should just explain that it was born from a conversation with some Americans at camp about the relevance of the Pledge of Allegiance and what it means to the average resident of the USA. It wasn’t meant at all to represent my view, and if it comes across that way, please accept my apologies!

So today has been the first break day and a day to relax. We’ve just finished music camp which was very very fun! As you might expect I was in my favourite place, surrounded by music, I had a great time!

I divided up my week singing in the faculty chorus, playing in the faculty band, playing piano for the middle chorus, playing in the humu ono band, playing piano for the camp worship team, playing piano for the praise and worship elective, teaching individual brass lessons in the private brass elective, and helping teach advanced theory class!

The campers we’ve had this week have been delightful. A smaller cabin of 9 boys, and a slightly older age-range has meant that behaviour-wise, we haven’t had to deal with much this week, and we’ve been able to really have fun with them. Our special guests this week for the music faculty have been Matt and Nicola from Pasadena (originally Portsmouth) with Caleb Danielson and Meredith Flinn also from Pas. This talented group of people each brought something very special to the week, and helped to create a really fun atmosphere for the campers and staff alike.

A real highlight for me again has been praying with these kids each day and seeing real transformation in them. The whole experience so far has really strengthened my passion for and belief in camp ministry, and the power of good it could do back home if more people would embrace it and maybe learn from the excellent model we have in the London South-East division.

Another thing that has been strengthened in me today is my hate of shopping. We traipsed around a mall for a couple of hours, and it just made me thank the Lord even more that I do not feel compelled to shop at any time! I saw a few strange things, including a hair straightening stall, which, as the name suggests, you go to to have an attendant straighten your hair, therefore ensuring that your shopping experience is fn and frizz free!

We finished off today with a really intimate time of sung worship and prayer under the stars. I put together a song list and played the piano for over and hour whilst a few of the team sat and sung. It was really nice just to spend time together in that way, and to have a prayer circle at the end where God was clearly present blessing us.

Can’t wait for tomorrow, hope it will be a time to relax, with not a shop in sight! Bring on the beach…

2 comments:

Em said...

woooooo a hair straightening stall, sounds amazing, I hope they have one in New York, also you better get used to shopping because I will most definatly be dragging you round the shopping malls when I come to visit! x

Johnny said...

AH.....now that explains it. I was getting a bit worried there!